Godfrey, Leibsle, Blackbourn & Howarth, S.C.
Godfrey, Leibsle, Blackbourn & Howarth, S.C.

Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today

Elkhorn, WI

COVID-19 Message: We are available during business hours by phone and other forms of electronic and written communication. Read more.

Letting go of anger after a car accident

Sometimes in life, we are adversely affected by other people’s actions. This is especially true in a situation such as a car accident in which another driver’s reckless actions led you to suffer from injuries. This can be an extremely difficult situation to deal with, and you may find yourself experiencing increasing anger toward the driver that you believe caused the accident.

This anger can be a heavy burden to hold. While it’s easy to get angry, this anger can take hold of you, and it can be a difficult emotion to let go of, especially if you allow it to simmer for a long period of time. While you may feel justified in your anger, you should take a step back and question whether this anger and lack of forgiveness is benefitting you in any way. You may come to the conclusion that the anger is actually a significant burden to you, causing chronic stress and a distraction from your healing. The following are tips for letting go of anger after an accident.

Focus on what is good for you

Try to act with compassion for yourself at all times. Be alert and question what types of emotions are bringing you peace, and which emotions are damaging your sense of well-being. You may start by believing that anger is an emotion that you are entitled to, but you will soon see that it only disturbs your peace and harms your well-being.

Focus on closure rather than revenge

You do not know the other driver’s story, and what they have been going through in their life. Therefore, there is no need to get revenge, only closure for yourself. By taking action to gain damages, you will be able to gain the funds to help you move on from this experience in your life.

Make sure you take positive action to gain closure and start by making a personal injury claim.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network